In teaching a lesson,
when should you use cues, questions, and advance organizers? What adaptations
might be needed in working with students who are DHH?
Cues, questions, and advanced organizers are great tools to
use in your classroom to help your students understand the lesson. Cues can be
used to help prompt the student to do an action or guide them to a specific answer.
Questions can be used as a check point throughout the lesson. You ask the
students questions to see if they understand what is being taught then used as
a review once the lesson is complete. Questions can also be used to make the
student critically think. Advanced organizers are used to help further explain a
concept. They can be a support to the main concept of the lesson. Advanced organizers
are great for our DHH students because they tend to be visual; our DHH students
rely heavily on visual instruction. I feel like advanced organizers are a great
resource and look forward to using them with my students.
Some adaptations that may be applied when working with DHH
students is extended time, multiple choice answers instead of true/false, and
working one on one with a deaf educator. DHH student’s tend to have extended
time for tests and assignments listed on their IEPs; this will allow the more
time to complete them. DHH students struggle with true/false questions so when
given a test an adaptation can be change those type of questions to a multiple
choice type of question. Lastly, working on different concept areas one on one
with an deaf educator to help the student fully understand the concept.
What are your thoughts
on homework? Will you assign homework? How often do you think students should
have homework? Do you agree with the authors in CITW or disagree? Why?
I feel that homework is a crucial part of a student’s academic
career. It helps show the teacher what the students can do on their own and what
they all understood from the lesson. Since my students will be receiving daily
homework from their regular education teacher I do not feel that I need to give
them homework as well. The exception to this would be if providing an
additional homework assignment would benefit their learning. I feel students
should have homework on a daily basis; if they learn something new that day
there should be an assignment to help the concept be soaked into the student’s
brains. This could be adjusted depending on the grade of the student; more
homework for the higher grade levels.
Alex,
ReplyDeleteI feel that our views were very similar in our posts. Cues, questioning, and advanced organizers are great tools to use in the classroom with all students not just those who are d/Deaf or hard of hearing. I thought the videos shown to us in class with true life examples of these things being implemented into the classroom were very helpful in showing us how teachers implement these strategies into their teaching.It seemed that the students were really able to grasp concepts which helped them to answer comprehension questions. The advanced organizers were a great way for the students to organize their thoughts on paper after reading a novel or implementation of a lesson in the classroom. I too am excited to use these strategies and techniques in my future classroom with my students as well. Great post, thanks for sharing!
I liked your points on using questions to check students' comprehension and use of visual information. I agree these are great strategies to help in teaching students with hearing loss. One adaptation to consider is breaking down the questions into simpler, more concrete terms. Sometimes the language of questions or even text is too text for students to decipher, and we need to consider alternate ways of presenting this information. True/false questions are difficult, but students need to learn strategies to attack these types of questions. We will be discussing ways to do this in tomorrow's class on reading.
ReplyDeleteAlex,
ReplyDeleteI liked your breakdown of questions and cues. You made it simple and easy to understand. I also liked your points of the visual aspects that you need for our kiddos who have hearing loss. That is so so important and it is great to use visuals to support your cuing and questioning! I also agree with your thoughts about homework. I feel like we are there to support what they are learning in their regular classes (usually) so adding on additional homework is hard to do. Unless there is something specific that you are working on that you think the child would benefit from continuing at home. My question there is how do we give them a grade? I get really hung up on that part of the whole homework situation! Let me know what you think!