Thursday, October 30, 2014

Socialization and Communication


Students who are DHH often have difficult socializing and making friends with their peers. How can you address this within your classroom.

There are a few things I would do in my classroom to help with socialization. The first would be having the DHH student inform the class about their hearing loss. Just a quick here is what it is and maybe a fun fact or myth about hearing loss that many hearing individuals believe. I would then include a hearing loss mini lesson for the whole class. Just teaching them the basics depending on age to educate them more fully what a hearing loss is. If the DHH student used sign language I would then spend time each week teach the students some signs to help them communicate with one another. I feel it is important to inform the regular students about what hearing loss and share the language with them so the DHH student doesn’t feel so ‘alone’.

 

Communicating with parents is very important. What are some ways you can communicate with parents and is there a better way than another?

I feel at the beginning of the year it is important to find out from the parents the best way to communicate with them is: text, email, call, letter, etc. Then use that communication mode the most. I feel that email would be the easiest and fastest way. I can send them daily or weekly updates depending on the student’s situation. I hope to also send out a monthly newsletter if I have a large enough class. The parents are busy working and being a parent so I want to provide them with information on their student’s progress the easiest way possible.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is a great idea to have the student inform the class about their hearing loss -that is if the student is comfortable with it. I think this gives the student the chance to feel more comfortable with their classmates. I think it creates an opportunity for the other students to learn about the hearing loss and think of ways they can help out in situations that may be difficult for the student. Just informing every student in the classroom about hearing losses could help prevent any misunderstandings. I think it is a great idea to teach some basic sign language to the whole class in order to improve the communication among everyone. It will show the student they have support.
    I agree with you about communicating with parents. There are many different possible ways of communicating but it is important to figure out towards the beginning of the year which way the parent prefers to be contacted.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete