What are 3 pointers you have learned in using instructional strategies?
1) Critical Thinking Skills by using the 6 levels of questioning. When we are writing lesson plans we don't always think past the simple who what when where why and how. The packet provided really show you the different level of questioning to use with our students. Level one uses questions that work on knowledge, level two works on comprehension, level three works on application, level four works on analysis, level five works on synthesis, and level six works on evaluation. The packet gives you key words to use to help work on that specific level along with sample questions. The 6 levels of questioning can take your lesson to that next level and push your students to critically think through the activity.
2) Bi-Bi Program. I learned a great deal of information about a Bi-Bi program offered through Gallaudet University. The CAEBER is a program over the summer that is 4 courses offered to teacher. It trains you to be proficient in ASL/English Bilingual Professional Development. Teacher's take the course then go back to their home district and spread the knowledge they have gain from the course. I really would like to attend one of these courses in the future. I feel like it would be a great experience and could really benefit my students and my district.
3) Overall, from this class I am taking away a great resource that will set me up for success during student teaching and my first few years of teaching. My binder provides me with numerous strategies that will work for my students as well as a guide to possible assessments I can use with my students. I learned that it's important to have many strategies, or tricks in your bag, incase one does not work for that student. DHH students are very different and just because one strategy works for one student doesn't mean it will work for the other. Every student is different and has diverse needs; as a deaf educator that is one of our main roles to understand this and be able to meet those diverse needs of the students.
Has your viewpoint of teaching changed after taking this course? How or How not?
I don't feel my viewpoint has changed but I have gained a better understanding of what my role is as a deaf educator. It has helped prepare me for the next step in my journey; student teaching. We know there isn't much out there that is created simply for DHH students but this course has taught me great places to find those materials but also how to modify other materials so they will work with our students.
No comments:
Post a Comment