Friday, October 3, 2014

Center for ASL/English Bilingual Education and Research


CAEBER stands for the Center for ASL/English Bilingual Education and Research. CAEBER is an amazing program that hosts four courses over a summer session for two teachers, one hearing and one Deaf, to come and train to be proficient in ASL/English Bilingual Professional Development . These select few individuals take the courses then go back to their home districts and teach everything they now know on this area to others; spreading the technique and knowledge. Until this journal post, I had never heard of this program and I am thankful for this journal post. This program seems like a great resource and experience. I honestly would love to take these courses and be able to teach others in the field. I can only imagine how this could benefit my students and my growth as a deaf educator.

This can be a key strategy to use with students who are deaf and hard of hearing, especially those students who sign language is their main mode of communication. These courses and provide me with better teaching strategies to help me teach these students English. If the students are able to learn English better their academic levels can raise and be more on the same level as their peers.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had a chance to research this approach. We probably need to discuss this a little in class. But from your research, what did you like about it and what concerns do you have? Could you take components of this to use in your classroom? A lot of times, I find students writing the way they would sign it. So you may encounter this with some students of having to transfer an ASL version into English.

    ReplyDelete